It wasn’t hard growing up a preacher’s child until I became a teenager. I didn’t know so many prejudices and preconceived notions existed from others. How I should act, what I should think, what I could and could not do, where I can and cannot go, what I can say and cannot say. What I can and cannot wear. I’m suppose to be boring. I’m suppose to be promiscuous. I’m suppose to not get in trouble. But, what really, REALLY gets under my skin is ADULTS STILL have these same thoughts even though I am a grown woman with a child. I want to say to YOU adults, that ALWAYS has preacher kids jokes and all of these things to say and all of these judgements to pass, I want to say SAVE IT. SHOVE IT is about the nicest thing I can say without having to ask for forgiveness lol.
10 Things I don’t want to hear if you are in my presence:
- “I’m going to tell your dad.” (He raised me. He knows me. I am over 21)
- “Don’t tell Reverend you saw me here.” You should be more concerned about God than Reverend and aren’t we in the same place????
- “Preacher’s kids are the worst.” It’s not fact. They do they same things most children do except you have attached a saying you heard your mama, grandmamma, parents, others say. It makes you feel better.
- “You think you are better than everyone else.” Why? Because your idea of morals and mines are different?
- “Look at the Preacher’s kid doing xyz…” You just killed my vibe and just showed me you hold me to a higher standard than you hold yourself based on the occupation of my Father. That some how, I shouldn’t me dancing, having a cocktail, going to Vegas because there is ABSOLUTELY nothing to do there but gamble. Rolls eyes…
- “I’ve got to watch what I do and say because you are here.” I’ll leave. I have to watch what I do and say because you have made this statement. I know people like you can’t wait until I do something you can gossip about. This is why I don’t let my hair down with everybody. Very wise advice. However, let yours down. Take you wig off. I could care less about what you are doing. Hey, I of all people know what it’s like to be cramped in a space with a bunch of people you can’t be free around. Though, you have paid your money to get in or bought food, too or was invited, too. I don’t trust you with my reputation.
- “You wouldn’t know nothing about “that” because you are a preacher’s kid.” Right. Because we stayed in church 24/7 and read the Bible 24/8 and I never have been anywhere, done anything, and some how I am 43.
- “You don’t know what it was like growing up in my household. All the drama. Your parents were preachers.” Right. Because we never had any drama in our house and my parents got along like Mary and Joseph. Oh wait, they had problems, too. And further more NONE of us now everything that goes on behind closed doors.
- “I can’t believe you did this or that.” Wait, I thought you just said preacher’s kids are the worst.
- “Why do Christians do…” Really? We are at wedding. We are at a party. We are at a buffet. And you want to have a full debate about Christianity. I am not a walking talking seminary school. I am not a scholar. And to be honest, I barely meet most criteria of a Christian.
One thought on “Sunday Morning Coffee Musing: 10 Things This PK Wants You To Stop”
😂 people always have expectations of others