At its core, inner work is the process of getting to know yourself. It’s a form of introspective self-care where you can help yourself let go of harmful attachments, habits, people, and thoughts. -brainmd.com
The most important relationship you can have is the one you have with yourself. It determines how you treat yourself, how you treat others, and how you allow others to treat you. I did some research and along with my personal experience, came up with some signs you may need to work on yourself. I’ll say after reading some of this I can tell you that WE ALL probably need to do some inner work.
Inner work can be scary and daunting because it requires you to take an honest look at yourself. When was the last time you were honest with yourself about yourself and NOT blamed others or came up with excuses for your behavior or thoughts? You can’t control others but you can learn to control your responses. And even after you become aware or honest, what do you do about it? Shrug your shoulders? Apologize over and over and secretly say to yourself, “Why do I keep doing that?” Maybe it’s not your behavior that’s an indication that you need help or to work on yourself. Maybe it’s your obsessive worrying that is anxiety. Maybe it’s your mood swings you can’t explain but expect everyone around you to just deal with it or get used to it.
- You think negatively or have a negative view about yourself/other people, gender, cultures, etc
- You suffer from anxiety and depression
- You’ve had a traumatic change in your health
- You’re going through or have been through a rough patch in your life
- Your childhood was not the best and deep down you suspect it has impacted your thinking. other relationships and your behavior
- You don’t treat yourself with respect and/or you don’t treat others with respect
- You are in an unhealthy relationship
- You allow people to take advantage of you
- You have unreasonable expectations of yourself and others
- You are unhappy with your life
- You are a habitual giver and you give more than you can afford or have to give. This includes time.
- There is a persistent feeling of emptiness, unfulfillment, or failure
- You have anger issues
These are just a few examples. Have you ever read a book, talked to a spiritual leader, or therapist because you knew you needed to do some inner work? If you don’t mind sharing, what were some of your signs?